DeLorme inReach Explorer 2-way Satellite Communicator with GPS and Navigation
The inReach Explorer is nearly identical to the inReach SE (except for the color) and offers all the same features as the SE and uses the same data plans.
Additional Features in the inReach Explorer (not in the SE):
- Navigate to waypoints
- Built-in digital compass
- Built-in barometric altimeter
- Built-in accelerometer
DeLorme inReach Explorer Quick Start Video - Excellent!
Navigate, create waypoints, log your trip and find your way back. Send and receive text messages. Trigger an interactive SOS. Plan, track and share your journey. You can do all of this from one rugged handheld device with 100% global coverage from Iridium. You can also pair it with your mobile device to access topographic maps and U.S. NOAA charts.
- Includes digital compass, barometric altimeter and
- Includes an odometer and displays useful trip statistics
while in the field, such as trip time, max speed, moving
average, trip distance
- 100 hours of battery life in 10-minute tracking mode
with a clear view to the sky
- Color screen and virtual keyboard with predictive text for
standalone two-way messaging
- Email, SOS and tracking functions work anywhere in the
world; SMS availability may vary by country.
- 100% global coverage via the Iridium satellite network,
which is the world’s furthest-reaching satellite
- Maintains a satellite signal lock even in difficult GPS
environments and embeds precise location coordinates
in sent messages.
- Pairs via Bluetooth with Apple iOS, Android, or Kindle
devices (smartphones and tablets)
- GPS accuracy to +/- 5 meters
- Waterproof/dustproof (IP67; standard submersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes)
- Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810G for shock)
- Internal lithium polymer battery (2,450 mAh capacity at
- SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide
emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365
- Weight: 6.7 ounces
DeLorme inReach Catalog
inReach Explorer Sell Sheet
DeLorme inReach SE 2-way Satellite Communicator with GPS
This new inReach SE (screen edition) from DeLorme is the 2nd generation of their inReach products. It offers all the functionality of the original inReach - with the addition of a color screen and user-interface that can be used to type, send and receive messages without the need to connect to a smartphone. It can be paired with a smartphone if you want to use the Earthmate app to navigate using topographic maps or NOAA charts. The inReach SE has a built-in rechargeable lithium battery good for about 100 hours of operation in tracking mode. The rechargeable battery is not removable. That should be fine for glider pilot use. For those taking long trips into remote regions, an optional AA battery back will be available which will attach to the back of the unit - doubling the battery life. Also, the unit is charged using a standard USB to micro-USB cable. Any 5V power supply with a standard "A" rectangular USB connector (as found on PCs) will work to charge the unit or extend its battery life. For example - a 5V Battery Pack could be used to run or recharge the unit.
Overview by Paul Remde
Imagine flying cross-country in your sailplane while your friends follow the action online. They can follow you on a web site that displays your position every minute (extra cost option). Each track point includes your position, altitude, groundspeed and heading. Being able to see all that data every minute will allow them to know when you get low, when you climb back to altitude and when you are on final glide. Cool! The DeLorme inReach SE does all that - and more.
GlidePort.aero (www.glideport.aero) is a fantastic service that makes it possible to see many personal satellite trackers on a single map. It is used for all U.S. soaring contests and by many soaring clubs and commercial operations. It is possible to display inReach devices on the maps along with the other tracking devices. The advantage for glider pilots using the inReach is that their unit will update on the map more often than other devices (if they opt for one of the Aviation data subscriptions) and their altitude can also be displayed by hovering the mouse over a trackpoint. The site makes it easy to view all the trackers at a particular soaring site or soaring contest - anywhere in the world. You can also assign your tracker to a particular soaring club or soaring site. You can see my inReach SE on the Stanton Airfield / Minnesota Soaring Club page here: http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:378. The Soaring Society of America also uses this service on their web site here: http://www.ssa.org/sailplanetracker/default.asp.
SSA Sailplane Locater
The Soaring Society
of America has provided a very useful feature on their web site. SSA members can provide a link to their tracker's tracking page. That makes it easy to find the tracking page for any SSA member - which could be extremely useful in an emergency.
You can setup your own DeLorme MapShare page using the www.explore.delorme.com configuration web site. You can share the page with your friends so they can follow your flights or other adventures. For example, you can track my inReach SE at https://share.delorme.com/PaulRemde.
Advantages Over Competitive Products
- Track points include not only GPS position, but also altitude, groundspeed, and heading - making it easy for your friends to see whether or not you are still flying.
- With the optional "Aviation/Enterprise" data plan, the tracking interval can be set at 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, 60, 120 or 240 minutes. Using the 1 minute tracking interval would make flight following at a soaring contest a lot of fun. It would enhance safety by reducing the search radius in the event of an emergency in which the unit stopped transmitting.
- Friends viewing your shared page can "ping" your location (if enabled) using your MapShare page - even if the unit is not in tracking mode. That would be handy in an emergency. The unit only needs to be turned-on.
- The tracking can change automatically to a long interval (up to 4 hours) when not moving and change back to the standard (fast) tracking interval if you move more than a user-defined distance of 20, 50 or 100 meters (66, 164, or 328 ft). That reduces the data rate when not in flight - which reduces the monthly byte usage fees (with aviation data plans).
- Having the antenna on top makes it easy to get a good connection with the unit in a pouch on your parachute strap.
- Better satellite coverage than competitive products - 100% of the world is covered
- Friends viewing your shared page can send you a message (if enabled) - If your inReach is on it will alert you to the reception of the message.
- 2-way messages can be sent to any email address or cell phone (text message)
- The inReach SE works great with, or without a smartphone connected to it. Free-form messages can be sent using the virtual keyboard on the inReach SE or using a connected smartphone. It is easy to put into track mode and send one of 3 pre-defined messages using the buttons on the front of the unit.
- Download free detailed topographical maps to your smartphone (at home) and navigate using the inReach SE as your GPS data source when out in the field.
Satellite Communicator that sends and receives messages with GPS, color screen and virtual keyboard
Stay connected and safe anywhere in the world with the affordable two-way satellite communication solution -- inReach SE -- from DeLorme. Featuring a color screen, virtual keyboard, slim design and long-lasting internal lithium battery, this rugged Screen Edition of inReach is waterproof, dustproof and impact resistant to withstand just about any adventure.
With 90% of the earth’s surface lacking cell phone coverage, inReach can be used as a standalone device or paired with your smartphone or tablet to: send and receive text messages to and from cell phone numbers, email contacts and other inReach users; track and share your GPS location with family and friends; and trigger an SOS in the event of an emergency. Whether you’re deep in the backwoods or floating on a remote lake, inReach provides peace of mind and enables your family and friends to know where you are and how to reach you when your adventures take you out of cell phone range.
When used in conjunction with DeLorme’s free Earthmate app and Explore website, the seamless inReach experience provides worry-free navigation and journey tracking with unlimited downloadable topographic maps, NOAA charts, and GPS position updates. Unlike streaming maps on most cell phone apps, downloaded DeLorme maps remain available in the Earthmate app even when you’re outside of cellular coverage and are perfect for planning a long hunting trip, hike, remote camping trip or fishing excursion. Family and friends can even log into your MapShare page to follow a detailed breadcrumb trail of your trip, ping your location, and send messages.
In the event of an emergency, inReach’s SOS capability provides peace of mind by automatically triggering remote tracking and allowing users to describe and update their situation so proper resources can be deployed (in standalone or paired mode). As the only satellite communication device that both sends and receives messages in its price category, inReach is an essential tool for staying safe and in touch with family and friends in remote locations – whether on land, in the air or on water. It’s also the perfect device to keep on-hand in case of weather emergencies, such as hurricanes or earthquakes.
Unlike other satellite communicators, consistent global service is available through Iridium, which is the world’s furthest-reaching satellite communications network. inReach can maintain satellite signal lock even in difficult GPS environments and embeds precise location coordinates in sent messages.
Product Overview of inReach SE:
- As the next generation satellite communicator from DeLorme, inReach SE builds on the proven, award-winning technology of the company’s original satellite communicator.
- Combines the latest satellite communication technology and product innovation to make it the most feature-rich, and easy to use satellite communicator that both sends and receives messages available on the market at an affordable price point.
- With a color screen and virtual keyboard, standalone mode provides full, free-form texting capabilities to any cell phone number or email address, social media posting, the ability to change service modes and configure user settings – all without the need for a paired, companion device.
- Offers a sleek, pocket-sized design, intuitive LED indicator for satellite availability, audible message notifications, and a long-lasting internal rechargeable lithium battery for ultimate convenience and portability.
- Designed for maximum durability in harsh environments. Waterproof/dustproof (IP67; standard submersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes) Impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810F for vibration/shock).
- Provides 100% pole-to-pole coverage via the Iridium satellite communications network, with no gaps, fringe or weak signal areas. Satellite subscription plans start at $9.95 per month.
- Optional paired mode provides access to unlimited, downloadable topographic maps and NOAA charts.
- Accessories for inReach include: vehicle and bike mounts
Standalone Mode Features:
- Emergency/SOS – Trigger an SOS from anywhere in the world with automatic GPS location tracking. Interact with 24-hour emergency monitoring center via two-way text messaging to describe the nature of your distress in detail and stay in touch throughout the rescue process.
- Send and receive text messaging -- Send and receive160-character, free-form text messages to and from any cell phone number, email address, and other inReach users. View and respond to incoming messages directly on the screen.
- Convenient, quick messaging -- Send simple, predefined text messages to email and cell phone contacts for anticipated situations.
- Follow-me/find-me tracking – Turn on and off tracking to share your GPS coordinates, course, speed and elevation in real-time with friends and family. Tracking intervals can be configured between 10 minutes and four hours.
- Delivery confirmation – Audible alerts, built-in LED light, and on-screen cues confirm communication with the satellite and indicate two-way message delivery.
- Social media posting – Send out a message or create a post via Facebook or Twitter.
Paired Mode Features:
Transform your mobile device into a global satellite communication and navigation tool when you pair your inReach SE via Bluetooth with our Earthmate app:
- Real-time GPS location, tracking and text messages are overlaid on the digital maps for easy navigation and position location from anywhere in the world.
- Unlimited downloadable topographic maps and NOAA charts on your paired mobile device when downloaded via an Internet connection. Unlike streaming maps on most cellphone apps, downloaded DeLorme maps remain cached in the Earthmate app even when you’re outside cellular coverage.
- Automatically syncs with your mobile device’s address book for easy message sending
- View all your previous trips and messages
Exclusive Online Features:
- Give family and friends peace of mind with the ability to see your GPS coordinates, breadcrumb trail and initiate a message exchange with you from DeLorme’s exclusive MapShare portal.
- Manage your inReach device with our Explore portal, including:
- Pre-load messages to your inReach.
- Set-up access to your social media accounts.
- View all your previous trips and messages.
- Manage your account and settings, including emergency contacts.
- Update your inReach firmware.
- Rugged, durable housing that is waterproof/dustproof (IP67; standard submersion to 1 meter for 30 minutes) and impact-resistant (Mil-STD-810F for vibration/shock).
- Length: 2.44 in (62 mm)
- Width: 1.02 in (26 mm)
- Height (including antenna): 5.87 in (149 mm)
- Weight: 7.05 oz (200 g)
- Operational temperature range: -4 F to 140 F (-20 C to +60 C)
- Storage temperature range: -40 F to 185 F (-40 C to +85 C)
- Battery charging temperature range: 32 F to 113 F (0 C to +45 C)
- GPS accuracy to +/- 5 meters
- GPS fix reports position, speed, course, and elevation with each track or message sent
- Internal, rechargeable lithium battery delivers about 100 hours of operation in tracking mode with a 10 minute update rate
- An optional AA battery pack will be available which attaches to the back of the unit and doubles battery life.
- The unit is charged using a cable that plugs into its standard micro-USB power/data port. Any 5V power supply with a micro-USB connector will work to charge the unit or extend its battery life. For example - a 5V Battery Pack and standard USB to micro-USB cable could be used to run or recharge the unit.
- Color screen with predictive, virtual keyboard for standalone two-way messaging
- SOS locking mechanism complies with RTCM SC-128 for satellite emergency notification devices (SEND); prevents false alarms and supports one-handed gloved operation
- Pairs via Bluetooth with Apple iOS or Android devices
- 100% global coverage via the Iridium satellite network
- SOS messages are received by GEOS, a worldwide emergency response coordination center with 24/7/365 staffing
My 3 Preset Messages (for use when flying sailplanes):
- "Paul Remde (FH) is OK - Still Flying. Follow my flight at: https://share.delorme.com/PaulRemde or http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:378"
- "Paul Remde (FH) has landed out safely. I need a retrieve. Cell: 952-445-8027, https://share.delorme.com/PaulRemde or http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:378"
- "Paul Remde is done flying for the day - landed safely. View my flight here: https://share.delorme.com/PaulRemde or http://glideport.aero/map?p=GlidePort:378"
- A detachable clip is mounted on the back of the inReach SE - for use on a belt, etc.
- Mount it to your parachute harness in a fabric pouch not included. You local parachute rigger should be able to make one for you.
- A RAM cradle for the inReach SE is available below.
Earthmate App - iPhone Screen Captures
Click on the images above to view larger versions.
Earthmate App - iPad Screen Captures
Click on the images above to view larger versions.
Earthmate App - Android Screen Captures
Click on the images above to view larger versions.
DeLorme inReach Catalog
inReach SE Freedom and Annual Contract Plans
inReach SE Aviation/Enterprise Service Plans