Glider Flying Handbook
Author: U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Reprinted and Published by ASA
Paperback, full color, 272 pages, Published
Dimensions: 8.25 x 10.75 x 0.55 inches
(210 x 273 x 14 mm), Weight: 1.9 pounds
Free Download Available
This entire book can be downloaded as a large PDF file for free here:
or, more directly:
However, many people prefer having a printed copy. It is not very practical to print the entire 272 page document at home. I therefore stock very nice professionally printed versions of this book from ASA which you can order at right.
Beautifully illustrated full-color technical manual, for applicants preparing for glider category ratings and for currently certificated glider pilots who wish to improve their knowledge.
This is the FAA’s primary technical manual for the required aeronautical knowledge necessary to operate a glider. It is essential reading for applicants preparing for the exams for private, commercial, or flight instructor pilot certificates with a glider rating, as well as for currently certificated glider pilots who wish to improve their knowledge. Flight instructors will find this handbook a valuable training aid, since it includes detailed coverage of aeronautical decision making, components and systems, aerodynamics, flight instruments, performance limitations, ground operations, flight maneuvers, traffic patterns, emergencies, soaring weather, soaring techniques, and cross-country flight.
In addition, readers will find information on towing, human factors, and the Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) Safety Advisory 00-1, “Glider Critical Assembly Procedures” in the Appendix, which covers ensuring aircraft airworthiness. Illustrated throughout with detailed, full-color drawings and photographs; includes comprehensive glossary and index.
Table of Contents
Detailed Table of Contents
- Chapter 01: Gliders and Sailplanes
- Chapter 02: Components and Systems
- Chapter 03: Aerodynamics of Flight
- Chapter 04: Flight Instruments
- Chapter 05: Glider Performance
- Chapter 06: Preflight and Ground Operations
- Chapter 07: Launch & Recovery Procedures & Flight Maneuvers
- Chapter 08: Abnormal and Emergency Procedures
- Chapter 09: Soaring Weather
- Chapter 10: Soaring Techniques
- Chapter 11: Cross-Country Soaring
- Chapter 12: Towing
- Chapter 13: Human Factors
- Appendix A: Soaring Safety Foundation (SSF) – Safety Advisory 00-1, Glider Critical Assembly Procedures
- Glossary and Index